Please submit the form below to register for this event online!
Join Episcopal Divinity School on Friday evening, July 25, 2014, at the Church of St. Luke and The Epiphany as we commemorate the fortieth anniversary of the ordination to the priesthood of the Philadelphia Eleven. EDS, and its pre-decessor institutions, Philadelphia Divinity School and Episcopal Theological School, all have or had close ties to many of the participants from that historic day in 1974, including:
• The Rev. Dr. Alison M. Cheek, EDS ‘90
• The Rev. Dr. Carter Heyward, Howard Chandler Robbins Professor of Theology (emerita)
• The Rev. Dr. Suzanne R. Hiatt, ETS ’64, EDS ’98 (HD), John Seely Stone Professor in Pastoral Theology (deceased)
• The Rt. Rev. Robert L. DeWitt, ETS ’40, PDS ’65 (HD), EDS ’98 (HD), ordaining bishop (deceased)
• The Very Rev. Dr. Harvey H. Guthrie, EDS ’85 (HD), Dean of ETS from 1969 – 1974 and Co-Dean or Dean of EDS from 1974 – 1985, a vocal advocate for the ordination of women
• The Rt. Rev. Barbara C. Harris, EDS ’89 (HD), former EDS trustee, crucifer at the ordination
• The Rt. Rev. Jose “Tony” Ramos, ETS ’62, assisted Bishop DeWitt and others that day
• The Rev. Louis H. Temme, PDS ’70, provided meeting space in his church for the ordination’s planners
• Dr. Charles V. Willie, EDS ’04 (HD), the then-vice president of the House of Delegates, preached at the ordination
EDS is proud to join with the Diocese of Philadelphia and the Church of the Advocate in celebrating these remarkable individuals this summer. For more information on the diocese’s events on Saturday, July 26, 2014, visit 40yearsordained2000yearsinministry.com.
2014 also marks the fortieth anniversary of PDS and ETS to form Episcopal Divinity School. The reception will also honor former PDS trustee, Mrs. Frances Kellogg, and her husband Howard Kellogg, as EDS Distinguished Donors for their many years of generous philanthropic support.