EDS Dedicates The Rev. Dr. David J. Siegenthaler ’55 Atrium

David Siegenthaler

Cambridge, MA (May 8, 2015)--Episcopal Divinity School (EDS) honored longtime associate the Rev. Dr. David J. Siegenthaler by dedicating The Rev. Dr. David J. Siegenthaler ’55 Atrium in Sherrill Library during the school’s Alumni/ae Days festivities.

Siegenthaler, 88, a 1955 graduate of Episcopal Theological School (a predecessor institution of EDS), began his academic teaching career at ETS in 1969, when he was hired as tutor in history, specializing in medieval church history. For a time in the 1970s, he served as associate director of the library, before taking over as director of the EDS/Weston Library from 1980 to 1983.David J. Siegenthaler ’55 Atrium

Throughout the years, Siegenthaler served as an adviser to many EDS students; he assisted the Rev. Dr. Matthew Cadwell ’99 in writing the retrospective A History of Episcopal Divinity School: In Celebration of Its Twenty-Fifth Anniversary, published in 2000. Additionally, Siegenthaler has published numerous articles on topics ranging from religious bibliography to Anglican spirituality to education in the Reformation era.

Upon his retirement in 1995, Siegenthaler was awarded an honorary doctor of divinity degree in recognition of his years of service to the ETS/EDS community. Ever tireless, and retirement notwithstanding, Siegenthaler continued to work in Sherrill Library as a curator of special collections and archivist—a position he holds to this day.

The centerpiece of The Rev. Dr. David J. Siegenthaler ’55 Atrium is a display case where rotating, archival displays of the school’s history will be mounted. The atrium is prominently located in the first floor of EDS’s Sherrill Library, a multi-research library with more than 70,000 print volumes, nearly 130,000 electronic resources, and several historic archives that EDS shares with Lesley University.

As part of the atrium dedication, the Sherrill Library staff assembled a display of several objects that Siegenthaler had particularly admired during his tenure at the school:

Travelling Communion Set

Coventry Cross

Stewart Seal

Left to Right:

  • A 19th century Travelling Communion Set, donated by Joan Kaufman
  • Coventry Cross, constructed from three small nails that were part of the 14th century Coventry Cathedral bombed during WWII, which was given as a memorial to Robert Benjamin Muhl (192–1971) by his classmates from the ETS class of 1953
  • The Stewart Seal, late 15th century, gifted to the ETS Library by an unknown donor